What is Google Colab and why you should know about it?
Colaboratory is a Google research project created to help machine learning education and research become more accessible and easy for everyone. It's a Jupyter notebook environment that requires Zero setup to use and runs entirely in the Google cloud. I have done an entire project in Google Colab without worrying about Hardware and environment
How G0ogle Colab can help you?
Whether you're a student, a data scientist a python programer or an AI researcher, Colab can make your life easier.
- Say if you want to run a Machine Learning or Data Science project you can do it in Google Colab without any headache of installing packages and setting up Environment,Zero configuration required
- You want to use GPU for your Deep Learning or heavy Machine Learning workload but you don't have the hardware, guess what Google Colab provides GPU
- You want to share your work progress and want to collaborate with others, Google Colab let you share your work with others and your colleague can replicate your work and collaborate with you without any setup and environment setup.
well enough bragging about features but it's not all we'll see later. Now the next question arises in our mind.
Is google colab free?
Google has done the coolest thing ever by providing a free cloud service based on Jupyter Notebooks that support free GPU and TPU, well I heard you screaming google I love 💓 you. So let's see what are the features Google colab is giving us for free.
- Google Colab is Cross-Platform you only need a web browser to access it.
- Colaboratory supports Python 2.7 and Python 3.6, it doesn't provide Jupyter kernels for othr languages like R , SCALA etc.
- All your Colaboratory Notebooks are saved in your Google Drive.
- All major libraries like Pandas , Numpy and Matplotlib, etc are already installed for you, you just have to import them and start using.
- Colab is ideal for everything from improving your Python coding skills to working with major deep learning libraries, such as PyTorch, Keras, TensorFlow, and OpenCV.
- It will automatically setup GPU environment for you if you want to use GPUs.
- You can create new notebooks in Colab, upload your personal Jupyter Notebooks, store notebooks, share notebooks.
- You can mount your Google Drive and use whatever you’ve got stored in there whether it be Data or notebooks
- You can upload notebooks directly from GitHub, upload Kaggle files, download your notebooks upload external data, and do just about everything else that you might want to be able to do on your local machine.
For any further Nitty gritty details please look at their faq page.
Before we start using Google Colab let's answer some question that comes in our mind.
Q1. is google colab really free?
already answered 🙄 yes!!!!!!!!
Q2. is google colab secure and private?
Yes, it is secure and private you can have both Private as well as Public notebooks.
Q3. is google colab really good and fast?
well it depends what you call fast but they are providing GPU of 12 GB and 350 GB disk space. It is pretty fast for my usegrcase
Q4. Does google colab support R?
No, it is currently supporting only Python 2.7 and Python 3.6
Q5. Why google colab is Free?
well, google has plenty of resources and they have always been community-focused organization.
This blog will be updated as per latest update and user feedback please give us your valuable suggestions in comment section😀.